Hidden Gems - Tiptree
Tiptree is a village situated around 10 miles south-west of Colchester and is probably best known as home to Wilkin & Sons whose luxury jam and other products have put Tiptree on the map.
Tiptree is considered a contender for the title of ‘the largest village in England’, not surprising when it has all the benefits of a town but with a village lifestyle. Amenities include a good range of shops from local retailers to a major supermarket store, libraries, pubs, museums, schools and a nature reserve centre. There are also plenty of activities for all ages including gardening and running clubs, a choral society, dancing, art and a ladies group breakfast club to name a few.
Just twenty minutes away is Colchester town which is a major retail centre with multiple restaurants to choose from. Kelvedon railway station with a fast direct mainline service into London Liverpool Street is less than 4 miles away which is perfect for those who commute to London.
5 things to love about Tiptree
- Eating out: In Tiptree they have something for everyone when it comes to eating out. There are plenty of local pubs to choose from such as the Bonnie Blue Oak, noted for their Sunday roasts, which has a large patio and garden area ideal for families and the Ship Inn which includes all the pub favourites on the menu.
- Leisure activities: Tiptree’s Leisure World is ideal for the whole family. Mum and dad will appreciate the gym classes and wide variety of courts and pitches while the kids can try their hand at climbing, trampolining and numerous other activities courtesy of the many clubs that are based there. There’s even Tiptree Tots for the youngest members of the family.
- Best of both worlds: Tiptree is surrounded by many delightful smaller villages and surrounding countryside and farmland so it has a real rural feel. However, it also offers easy access to the wonderful coastline that Essex has to offer with fashionable Mersea Island close by or you could stroll along the waterfront past the historic sail lofts at nearby Tollesbury.
- Weekends in Tiptree: There’s plenty to do to stay busy at the weekends including visiting Rockingham’s farm for some ‘glamping’. You will be surrounded by farmland and woodland so plenty of walking routes.
- Community: Having grown from a small amount of families to the current 10,000 population Tiptree aspires to become even bigger. However despite Tiptree is growing fast but maintains a small community feel celebrating events such as their carnival and Christmas tree festival as well as bonfire night.
For more information about Tiptree and the surrounding area contact our Witham office, in the meantime here is a selection of properties currently available.