Once tenants find a suitable property and wish to proceed with an application for a tenancy, we are keen to ensure that the process itself runs as smoothly as possible.
We will always be transparent in terms of any fees charged to tenants not only during the application process itself but also during a tenancy. A summary of these charges are shown below.
Before tenants move in
These charges incorporate all related costs of processing an application for a tenancy including retrieving critical information to comply with the Right to Rent checks initiating referencing, contract negotiation (amending & agreeing terms), processing all relevant paperwork throughout and finalising formal Tenancy Agreements. £222 inc VAT for a single tenant, £150 inc VAT per additional tenant. Charges become payable upon commencement of the application process. At any time during the application process should tenants decide not to proceed or fail referencing, then application fees are not refundable.
Where a guarantor is required, additional referencing will be undertaken and further information required on each guarantor that is nominated by the tenants and preparing a Deed of guarantee as part of the Tenancy Agreement. The related charge shown below is applied per individual guarantor and becomes payable following receipt of the tenant's references and once the guarantor/s completes the relevant application form. £150 inc VAT. The fee is for undertaking referencing, obtaining satisfactory identification and preparing a Deed of guarantee as part of the Tenancy Agreement In the event of the tenancy not being finalised for any reason or the replies to referencing proving unsatisfactory, such charges are not refundable.
For retrieving critical information, initiating referencing, processing all relevant paperwork throughout, preparing and finalising formal Tenancy Agreements. £252 inc VAT. Where applicable, charges become due upon commencement of the application process.
Where applicable Beresfords own Inventory Clerks prepare a detailed inventory (condition report). This document protects the interests of both landlord and tenants in the event of a dispute at a later date. The tenant's contribution varies depending on the size of the rental property: 1-3 bedroom property £90 inc VAT , 4 bedrooms or more £150 inc VAT. Charges become due just prior to commencement of the tenancy.
Check out fee (Fully managed tenancies only)
Attending the property to undertake an updated Schedule of Condition based on the original inventory and negotiating the repayment of the security deposit(s) £60 inc VAT
The tenants are required to pay a deposit prior to move in to protect the landlord against any damage incurred during a tenancy which is deemed to be beyond normal wear and tear. The deposit will be equivalent to 1½ months’ rent and will be paid just prior to commencement of the tenancy. Where Beresfords are protecting the deposit we will register the Landlord and tenant details and protect the security deposit with a government-authorised scheme. Provide the tenant(s) with the deposit Certificate and Prescribed Information within 30 days of the tenancy.
For additional wear and tear relating from having animals in the property £60 inc VAT. The fee is non refundable and payable on commencement.
Just prior to move in and commencement of a tenancy, a minimum of 1 months’ rent in advance will be required from the tenants.
During a tenancy
If a landlord and their existing tenants are both interested in renewing a tenancy then the tenants will pay a contribution towards the costs involved of Beresfords re-negotiating revised terms, preparing all relevant paperwork and finalising the contracts. £90 inc VAT (One off charge per tenancy and not per tenant)
The following charges will only apply for the reasons listed below:
- Normally Beresfords will not accept payments of rent in cash. However if this is the tenants only option then a surcharge of £30 inc VAT will be applied for each payment of rent in this way.
- If a tenant fails to pay their rent on time as per the terms of their tenancy agreement then a surcharge of £18 inc VAT will be applied to every late payment received.
- Where Beresfords and the tenants have mutually agreed a suitable date and time for a routine internal inspection of the property to be undertaken (managed tenancies only) but the tenant fails to provide access on the said day as previously agreed, then £30 inc VAT will be charged for an aborted visit.
- If a suitable date and time has been agreed for a contractor to attend to undertake general maintenance or repairs (managed tenancies only) but is unable to gain access as arranged, then a surcharge of £54 inc VAT will be applied to help compensate for any call out charge imposed on Beresfords by the contractor concerned.
- Leading up to the end of a tenancy Beresfords always advise tenants to cancel their standing order arrangements so that no further rent is paid beyond the end of the tenancy term. Should tenants fail to do so and Beresfords are required to re-credit incorrect rental payments back to tenants, then an administration charge of £24 inc VAT will be applied (managed tenancies only)